Friday, 13 March 2009

Englishism(s) of the Day...(kinda dumb, but fun, nonetheless!)

Happy Friday the 13th! Here's an Englishism for you to start the weekend right...

"Scrummy"- A combination of "yummy" and "scrumptious" (this is Tara's unofficial definition, of course...); usually used to describe naughty foods :o)

Example: That sticky toffee pudding we had last night was scrummy!!!

Actually, as I write this, I thought of two related Englishisms that will accompany "scrummy" quite well...

"Fit" - Sure, Americans use this word, but the British use it A LOT more, and in a few ways. Fit means "in good health" or "in good shape"/svelte (don't you love that word?!).

"Poorly" - Means "under the weather" or sick in British

Here are a few examples:
1) Now that I've eaten so much sticky toffee pudding, I'm not as fit as I used to be!
2) I ate so much sticky toffee pudding last night that I'm feeling poorly today!

Cheers, friends! Happy Birthday to my dearest friend, Michelle! xo

1 comment:

Michelle said...

:) I'm really looking forward to having you back in the States!!