Sunday, 23 November 2008

Evening Walk Through Coventry - 18 Nov 08













I've found that Coventry is under-rated. Overall, it doesn't have the best reputation for being a lovely place to visit, but I think it's a really great town! There are hidden aspects of it's history, and restaurant/bar gems that noone really talks about. I was fortunate enough to be taken on an evening walk through Cov after a lovely dinner on Spon Street this past week.

A few pics: 1. Statue of Lady Godiva- Her tyrant husband, the Earl of Mercia, imposed an oppressive tax on the citiznes of Coventry. Lady Godiva pleaded with him to stop the tax. He told her that she would have to ride naked through town before he changed anything. So, she did! The earl was so stunned, he revoked the tax and changed his horrible ways! This story is also where the phrase "Peeping Tom" originated, believe it or not. 2. A small piece of what remains of the original city walls from medieval times.

No comments: